Thursday, September 18, 2008

My friend Godfrey:

Yes, I finished reading your work this morning. I have been busy at work, and started earlier this week, and finished it this morning. I should have tried to read it at home, but it just did not happen. I read it at work.

Let me state upfront that I do like your work, and I do think you are an excellent poet. However, you probably know more about music than I know about poetry. I have not studied poetry since I was a college student over 15 years ago. But hopefully my opinion still counts…

My favorite poems of yours are the following:

One

St Ignatius (Sessions) (is my favorite one overall)

The Nightmare Before…(Was this about a phone call from Cassie?)

The Mastermind (The Thief and The Ego) (Probably about Cassie too?)

Hail to the Thief (is this Cassie related? Or stealing bases in baseball related?) Doubt the baseball idea, due to the line “silver, gold, cash”

Found

Ghost (interesting)

A Beast Cannot Be Trusted (Wonder if this is about Cassie too…)

The only one that I did not relate to was:

Appetite

(Well, maybe add “Salvation” as well, but there that word, to me, as a former ardent theist and minister, is a word that I do not like…thus, I am wondering if my own past affected my understanding)…I no longer believe in salvation from a religious perspective, thus I think my mind was clouded to that…

Helpless I do not know if good intentions prevail among the elected, among the appointed, leaving me apprehensive that the fate ...