Thursday, April 30, 2020


PERKOFF
This afternoon, I again spent
my time reading the poems of
Stuart Z Perkoff
and once again they, as they
have always done, hit me
heavy with truth and
spiritual insight of this
life, his and ours,
he was singing and
swinging with words
that sting relevant some
4 decades later: he was
widely published at
the time, many chapbooks
and work in the magazines
and literary publications
and anthologies :
I’ve just ordered
‘Voices Of The Lady’
his collected poems:
I can’t wait to
hold and turn the
pages of his
breathing in my hands,
it feels just like making
a brand new
best friend.

John D Robinson 





















HOBO WITH VISIONS
I awoke at 05:30, swallowed
codeine and diazepam and
awoke 3 hours later:
drank some tea and smoked
a joint: mowed the lawns
and trimmed the hedges:
our daughter and
grandchildren visited: I
had drawn pictures for
all of them and waved
and blew kisses to them
from inside of the house
as they smiled and
danced from the garden:
I took some more
prescription drugs,
worked-out with my
nunchaku and then
opened a bottle of wine
and with my notebook
was hoping to write
a poem and I wrote
down the words of
Doug Draime:
‘A hobo with visons,
a bum with dreams,
a man of sincere
foolishness, marking
my time and my
life here on paper
once again’
the right way to end
a day,
every day.
(Quote from Doug Draime’s poem ‘Pulling Out Of The Race for the Sake of Winning’ permission from     © Carol Draime, with many thanks)

John D Robinson 










READING, REMEMBERING
In the bar, following the
college-poetry-reading,
she came up to me and
offered a drink:
I accepted:
she told me that she had
enjoyed my words and
had never thought that
poetry could be so raw
and exciting:
she was plain, short,
rotund with big breasts:
later, in her bedsit, she
asked to hold my hands,
the poet’s hands:
I agreed:
she took hold of my
hands and gently
massaged and
sensuously slid her
fingers and coiled her
hands around mine:
I asked if these poet’s
hands could caress and
love her beautiful
breasts:
she nodded her head and
smiled:
then we were naked,
laughing and fooling
around and afterwards
she asked me to recite
one of my poems
and I was fucked if I
could remember a
fucking word.

 John D Robinson











JAMES DEAN & I
‘Who is this?’ she asked
picking a fridge-magnet
off the freezer door:
‘Who do you think it
is? I asked my four
year old granddaughter:
she looked at the portrait
of James Dean and said
‘It’s you grandpa!’
I nodded my head,
smiled and felt good:
‘I’m going to show
nanny this’ she said:
I heard my wife
laughing a few moments
later and then my
granddaughter returned:
‘It’s not you Grandpa!’
she cried;
‘Let me look at it again,
oh, that’s not me, that’s
James Dean’
‘Oh’ she said ‘Is he a
friend of yours?’
she asked.

John D Robinson 























THE LONG SLUG
His relief and excitement were
one, as he embraced me,
urging me to sit back down in
the public bus shelter after I
had provoked and challenged
the asshole who thought he
was a tough guy and would
have for sure beaten my ass:
I sat down, relaxed and
relieved:
the tough guy looked over
at me looking tough and I
couldn’t resist and winked
 at him: he began
laughing and shaking his
head, he took a long slug
from the bottle and then
made a show of offering
it to me as the other bums
looked on at the young
new-comer treading on
their toes and drinking
their share.
John D Robinson 

Helpless I do not know if good intentions prevail among the elected, among the appointed, leaving me apprehensive that the fate ...