Monday, June 1, 2015


                    Giving Thanks


Thank you for the sorrows,
so I might see myself more clearly,
a small figure in the hardscrabble,
one of any number of cogs,
another version of the many others.

Thank you for the million sadnesses.
They come like cold rain
on an uninhabitable planet.
They fall like angels cast out of paradise.
Like heads into a basket.

More despairs? You shouldn’t have.
I’ll keep them in the cellar
where no light can touch them,
where they’ll take root in the earth,
black flowers in blacker dirt,
unshadows of a faith minus redemption.

You’ve made grief a present.
Like the drowning man
being handed a stone,
I can’t thank you enough.
              I can’t thank you.

            Bruce Mcrae 

Helpless I do not know if good intentions prevail among the elected, among the appointed, leaving me apprehensive that the fate ...